Sunday, May 6, 2007

Jack Daniels Old Number 7: 22

Taste: 7 Finish: 7 Color: 4 Aroma: 4
Total: 22
I start my whiskey reviews with my old friend, Jack Daniels. I will always remember the classic line from "A Scent of a Woman" where Al Pacino says, "When you've known him as long as I have you call him John." We've been close friends since 1990.

Jack is not a bourbon due to it's distilling process. More specifically it's filtering process. Jack is double charcoal filtered. Once at the beginning and then again at the end. A true bourbon is filtered only once at the start. Otherwise Jack is extremely similar to other bourbons and have the same flavor characteristics. Jack claims the double filtering makes it smoother.

The aroma is of traditional American whiskey. There is a small whiff of alcohol but nothing offensive. The color is a rich amber. I prefer my whiskey over ice. Warm and straight up to me is not that appealing. A splash of cold water on rare occasion. On ice, Jack has a nice smokey flavor with caramel undertones giving it a hint of sweetness. It glides over the tongue. There is a mild bite in the back of the throat and a medium burn on the way down. It's a smooth burn, not harsh like in cheap liquor. Moving up in whiskey quality almost always reduces this burn but at the expense of forward taste. I find Jack to be a very good balance between flavor and finish. Just rough enough to know you're drinking whiskey but not harsh to make you cough after it goes down.

To close, for an "every day" whiskey, Jack is a great friend. You may find more exciting and expensive whiskeys out there but John will never let you down.

No comments: