Friday, October 5, 2007

Flying Fish HopFish India Pale Ale: 23

Taste: 6 Finish: 9 Visual: 4 Aroma: 4
Total: 23

I've never liked Flying Fish. It's always been too "fresh" like they bottled it before it was really ready. Being it's brewed in my hometown, I should be singing their praises. Who knows, maybe this time will be different.

It has a moderate tangy hop aroma. Definitely some grapefruit. The color is a medium amber. Could stand to be a bit darker.

Holy crap, that's a lot of hops! It's very big and bold. It doesn't overpower the tongue. In fact, it lingers only for a short time and then just leaves that mild hop film on the tongue. I'm quite pleased with the finish given how strong this is.

The actual taste is a bit one dimensional, HOPS. I was hoping for some grapefruit or other citrus. Sadly, very little other flavors beyond the bitterness. It's not bad, just a bit disappointing.

It's a very good beer that could have been great. I think it's time to go back to the Flying Fish to see what else they have.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked this one too. As a matter of fact I liked this one despite the othe FF brands I had tried. I wasn't impressed with the ESB, x-tra pale ale or especially the dubbel that I hear everyone raving about. It has been a while since I've picked one up though so maybe it's time to revisit.