Friday, September 21, 2007

Jim Beam Rye Whiskey: 18

Taste: 5 Finish: 7 Visual: 3 Aroma: 3
Total: 18

Rye whiskeys are hard to come by these days. Jim Beam puts out a reasonably priced version. Given rye whiskeys are supposed to be harsher and a bit more rough and tumble, coupled with Jim Beam not being the greatest, I figure I'm in for a rough ride.

It has a moderate whiff of alcohol. The color is a normal amber color. Taking a sip the first thing I'm amazed with is how smooth it is. I expect this to have some rough edges. It doesn't. It is very clean with no lingering flavors. The up front flavor has a bit of earthy and grain undertones. It's all very subdued.

Not a bad whiskey. Not a very good whiskey either. Being a rye, it has a bit of that earthy flavor you'd expect. But overall the flavor is muted. I'm unimpressed but certainly not appalled.

No comments: