Saturday, September 8, 2007

Samuel Smith Imperial Stout: 14

Taste: 3 Finish: 3 Visual: 5 Aroma: 3
Total: 14

This beer for me was a total shocker. I've heard numerous rave reviews of this beer so I was eager to try it. It was a complete disappointment. It started well. It's a totally black beer with no light getting through. The aroma is nice but not strong. The head is thick and creamy.

Here's how I would describe this Imperial Stout. It's a lite version of a full flavored beer. An imperial stout should be strong, rich, chocolately, deep coffee and caramel flavors. All of these components were there, just extremely muted. Kind as if Guinness came out with Lite Stout for people who didn't want it too heavy. I'm sorry, but an imperial stout should be anything but lite. It should grab you and keep you warm for a month. This was way too tame. Steer clear.

No comments: