Friday, November 30, 2007

Seagram's VO Gold: 9

Taste: 2 Finish: 4 Visual: 2 Aroma: 1
Total: 9

Seagram makes a wide variety of whiskeys at various price points. From what I've seen, they are all Canadian blended whiskeys. VO Gold is one of their top shelf variants. It has a price point just below Jack Daniels.

Given it's price, I expected something much, much, much better. First, the color is a glowing yellow bordering on orange. Very strange. There is no subtle aroma. Really, it smells like mild rubbing alcohol.

It has absolutely no taste up front. In the mid to back the raw alcohol taste kicks in. The aftertaste again is of alcohol and then just a smidge of caramel and oak. It was the only way I could tell I was drinking whiskey instead of vodka. Also, the finish is extremely mild and smooth. This shouldn't be surprising since it is so flavorless. At least it isn't horrible or brash. That's about the best I can say for it.

If it were half the cost, I'd say it was fantastic cheap whiskey. Given the price, stay very far way from Seagram's VO Gold.

No comments: