Friday, June 15, 2007

Left Hand Warrior IPA: 9

Visual: 4 Aroma: 3 Taste: 2 Finish: 0
Total: 9

I've been to Boulder, Colorado many times. One of their revered local breweries is Left Hand Brewing Company. I've had a few of their beers over the years and have enjoyed them very much. I was very happy to see they are now shipping their beers across the country in 20 oz. bottles. Since it's been many years since my last visit, has Left Hand continued it's quality? The label says please keep refrigerated. Did they ship it refrigerated and now it's sitting warm on my liquor store's shelf? Did shipping this halfway across the country spoil its taste?

Warrior IPA is only brewed once per year using local hops. Checking their web site I get a bit worried that the IPA is not listed at all.

It's a deep amber color, slightly cloudy. The head is full but a bit brittle. It has a very nice sweet malt aroma.

Wow, there is bit malt sweetness, but that is quickly overtaken by lots of hops. A ton of hops. It finishes with hops and then it lingers, well, maybe forever. It's so hoppy that it has a bit of a medicinal aftertaste. Given the warnings of keep refrigerated, and then it's not on their website, I don't detect any spoilage or skunkiness to the beer. So, I have to assume it's supposed to taste this way.

This thing is strong, bold, and heavy. It's been 3 minutes and I can still taste it. I'm not a big "add tons of hops just for fun" beer. This thing has no character. No flavor but hops. No undertones. No complexity. I'll finish it but I'm afraid my fond memories of Left Hand have been ruined. Definitely pass on this beer.

No comments: