Sunday, June 17, 2007

Sly Fox Rt. 113 IPA: 26

Visual: 5 Aroma: 3 Taste: 9 Finish: 9
Total: 26

Brewed in Royersford, PA, I thought it would be good to try a local IPA. Reading the label and the site, this is a super hopped IPA registering 113 IBUs. I really hoping it has some flavor and character besides just hops. Let's find out.

The color is amazing. Amber/copper. Beautiful head. There is just a whiff of sweetness.

The front of the beer is a very nice malty sweetness. A real nice taste. There is a nice medium tang in the middle of the tongue. A bit sharp and acidic. And then a nice kick of hops at the end. You get a nice hoppy "ahh" with the exhale. A bit lingers on the tongue. But, nothing overpowering. It has more heft to it than a Sam Adams but doesn't have the insanity and medicinal taste of the last beer, Left Hand Warrior IPA. The comparison between the two would be, Slyfox knows how to hop a beer to retain flavor, while Left Hand just knows how to ruin it.

Yes, I'm left with a nice dry and bitter aftertaste in my mouth. That's exactly what I want with an IPA. If you told me this was 113 IBU I would say you're lying. This is due to a very nice craft beer doing it right. Retaining character and flavor while still providing an extreme overhopping. Nice balance.

I would have liked one more dimension to it. A bit of smokiness. Or nut. Or something. So, it's a 2 dimensional beer. 3 would have made it perfect.

No comments: