Saturday, June 9, 2007

Young's Special London Ale: 20

Visual: 5 Aroma: 3 Taste: 7 Finish: 5
Total: 20

I've seen Young's for many years but never tried it. What intrigued me was that this beer is bottle conditioned. It states to pour slowly to leave the sediment in the bottle. Let's give it a go!

Pouring extra carefully I was surprised that it had such a nice head on it. I was expecting something a bit more flat. It has a very nice amber, slightly brownish color to it. With the pour there was no sediment in it. It has a faint malty sweet aroma to it.

It has a slightly sweet start. Slight malt. A bit acidic. And then a long hoppiness down the throat. and then, bang! a lot of hops on the finish. And it lingers. And it stays on the tongue. And every breath exhaled has hops on it. This beer hold you. It also has an alcohol content of 6.4%. It's kind of like a British bar fight. Scrappy. Full of vim and vigor. And keeps punching you in the face until dawn. This is an extreme hopped beer which is becoming very popular these days.

Overall I would say it's a bit too extreme. I really like the taste. I don't like the very long term aftertaste. It's a bit much for me.

No comments: