Friday, June 1, 2007

St. Peter's Cream Stout: 27

Visual: 5 Aroma: 5 Taste: 8 Finish: 9
Total: 27

St. Peter's is a new small, craft brewery Suffolk, England. It was started in 1996. What caught my eye and made me buy it was the bottle. The bottle is beautiful. It's roughly a pint and flat more like a flask. It makes you want to find out what's inside. First the pour. The beer is black. I held it up to the light. Nothing. The head was a bit thin but creamy. I think this is by design as they say they make their brews with less carbonation for a smoother finish. A quick whiff and it smells very sweet and maybe a hint of toasted sesame seeds. Actually, more like Asian sesame oil. Very intriguing.

It has a nice acidic tang at the front. A sweetness of malt washes over the tongue followed by a mild hoppiness and some nut undertones. Then it turns to cream and dark chocolate. Finally a silky finish with just a touch of hop and chocolate aftertaste. I'm not a big stout drinker, let alone cream stouts, but this is very very good. I haven't drank Mackenson's in a long time but this is probably a step above that. The downside is the price. I paid $4 for a pint at the store. So, you're basically paying bar prices for home beer. Ouch. Otherwise, a top notch cream stout.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Cream stout, is my new favorite thing. I liked this alot and agree with the flavorings given to it. However it is a lot and will fill you up along with get you loopy.