Sunday, July 8, 2007

Makers Mark: 20

Taste: 6 Finish: 8 Color: 3 Aroma: 3
Total: 20

Makers Mark is a higher end bourbon. It could be considered the entry point to craft bourbons. Given its high regard, it's time to put it against the "every day" whiskeys to see if it warrants the praise.

It has a nice medium amber color. The aroma is a bit flowery, a hint of sweetness, and a touch of alcohol.

It has a medium bite. Next is some spiciness. A touch of licorice. Some earth, maybe some hay. And then a moderate burn on the way down. That spiciness stays on the tongue for a while. I'm a bit surprised. Makers Mark is considered a light bourbon so I expected something with less flavor. But really it just doesn't have that heavy finish or alcoholic exhale. I would say it has a lot of flavor though.

Overall I'm not impressed. I like a bit of sweetness on the front. A hint of fruit. This is really more of the earth. It does have an easy and clean finish which is nice. It is a whiskey you could sip for a long time. I'm just not a fan of the taste. I don't find it fares well against the bigger standards of Jack Daniels or Jim Beam. I don't really find it to be any better in quality. With it's higher price I definitely don't recommend it.

No comments: