Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Sierra Nevada IPA: 18

Visual: 4 Aroma: 4 Taste: 5 Finish: 5
Total: 18

In my mind, Sierra Nevada is the Sam Adams of IPAs. This means that it sets the benchmark for all other IPAs. Not that it's the best. But it separates the good from the great. Of course, this assessment is from a distant memory. And, now I've tasted several other IPAs ranging the gamut from bad to outstanding. Let's see if Sierra Nevada keeps that reputation intact.

It pours with a medium head which is nice and frothy. The beer's color is a medium amber. It has a nice sweet hop aroma. Very nice.

Pow! The flavor is very forward. A hint of sweet followed by bitter hops. It bubbles on the tongue a bit. Looking at the beer, it definitely is more bubbly than most. I don't detect any undertones of flavor. It's all a nice medium hops. It lingers a bit but not too long. It's very dry. I'm thirsty after drinking it. It has a very unique aftertaste. I can't place it. The only thing that comes to mind is pool water. Kind of chemical. It's not that bad but there is definitely something odd about it.

Overall I'm generally unimpressed with this beer. Sure, it's better than a lot and it still is a good beer. But, I've always held Sierra Nevada as a top tier beer. For its IPA, its more middle of the road.

No comments: